Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Raindrops

Wooooah, the rainstorm has come! We got away with a pretty mild Winter and Spring so far in Dublin. But it looks like Mother Nature finally let go of all that rain and wind she's been holding onto a bit too long.  It's pretty nasty out there today. Stay dry and warm people! Whatever other woes I may have of late, I am grateful to have a roof over my head.

A Burt Bacharach song my Dad used to sing to us is circling in my head. I won't quote all the lyrics to 'Raindrops keep falling' but will share a few lines from the popular 60's song. It was written by Bacharach and Hal David and sung by BJ. Thomas in 1969 on the soundtrack to Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. It got to number 1 and was obviously a hit with my Dad. I remember him singing it for yeeears whenever it rained. (Ha, it was frequently on the soundtrack to my childhood so!) You may remember it from the soundtrack to Forrest Gump in 1994.


'Raindrops keep falling on my head
And just like the guy whose feet are too big for his bed
Nothin' seems to fit
Those raindrops are falling on my head, they keep falling...'


'...So I did me some talking to the sun
told him I didn't like the way he'd got things done...'


Blue Chalcedony drop earrings

'...Sleepin on the job
Those raindrops are falling on my head, they keep falling..'



'...But there's one thing I know
The blues he sends me wont defeat me
It won't be long till happiness steps up to greet me.......'


5 comments:

  1. Lovely gemstones and soundtrack! 'Some talking to the sun' would have helped today!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anne Marie and thanks for visiting my blog to day! Your jewelry is lovely ( I really like the wrapped pendants) and it's always good to greet a fellow blogger. Yes, we Irish just can't help ourselves taking ( and singing! ) about the weather. It is absolutely the only thing I don't like about living in Connemara ( rain, wind, rain etc. ) I actually feel guilty for giving out about it as much as I do. But it must be in the genes...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you live in a beautiful place! My Dad still sings snippets of this song, if somewhat tunelessly :-)

      Delete