Sunday, August 12, 2012

Happy Birthday Aslan!

I'm straying completely away from Handmade crafts, seaglass and all the usual stuff that makes up my blog to wish a Happy Birthday to Aslan. These 5 lads from Finglas are one of the best bands ever to come out of Dublin, and possibly the best live band, in my opinion and I reckon I'm not alone in that. Last night they brought the house down at the Olympia theatre, celebrating 30 years of honest, rock music. Go on ya good things!
 A loyal fan of the band since I first saw them live in a Dublin pub back in the early 90s it was a night I wasn't going to miss. And they didn't disappoint. Tight as ever they played with the passion always associated with Aslan. They had us all in the palm of their hands as we sang along and lifted the roof right off the theatre. In the words of lead singer, Christy Dignam himself, it was 'Rapid'!

Hit after hit, sung soulfully by Christy, pulled at our heartstrings. Though Crazy World has got to be their best known and loved song, it's truly hard to pick a favourite. I'm already in love with every single track on their new album, Nudie Books and Frenchies. For the first time ever at any gig by any artist, I had hoped to hear a generous helping of the new material as well as the old, treasured anthems. The band got the balance right and it was a night to remember for a long time to come. I hope they enjoyed their birthday as much as we did.
 
Chains
Now if you will allow me a tongue-in-cheek moment, I'd like to pinch one of my favourite golden oldies, Chains, and make it an unofficial anthem for jewellery making ;-p

1 comment:

  1. Hard to believe they are going that long. Love the Olympia for gigs, I miss Dublin!

    ReplyDelete