Monday, October 1, 2012

Guilty Pleasures 1

Just for fun I decided to add another regular slot to my blog that has nothing at all to do with jewellery, craft, fashion or inspirations.  I've called it Guilty Pleasures, because that's quite simply what it is. A sneaky look at those random things I like and am unsure I ought to admit to (nothing lewd or illegal, I must add!) I bet I'm not completely alone with these ones:

Bovril, image from Wikimedia Commons



1. Bovril
 WHAT IS IT?
Who knows. Beef extract spread/ drink/ flavouring for stew...whatever, I love it on toast.
WHY A PLEASURE?
It tickles the taste buds. I'm on a diet and it's only 10 calories a spoon and it hit the spot when I was craving something that didn't taste of cardboard. If you need to feel bold, put it on your Weight Watchers bread (which, by the way disappears to nothing when you toast it.)!
WHY GUILTY?
You love it or hate it. It's weird tasting. It looks like molten tar. I should be craving chocolate, but I'm craving Bovril...hmmm maybe I need Vitamin B.....
File:Brian Cox at Science Foo Camp image2.jpg
Professor Brian Cox, image from Wikimedia Commons
WHO IS HE? 
Particle Physicist, University Professor, Science communicator, TV presenter, ex-Musician
WHY A PLEASURE?
Ah go on girls admit it, there's something very cute about his massive smile and the enthusiasm he exudes. Ok, anyone can have appeal when they talk about something they are passionate about, well, nearly anyone, but nobody does it like the Prof.
WHY GUILTY?
Very few geeks can get an artist that interested in physics, but he has. When it comes to science, I love biology. I actually have a diploma in Anatomy & Physiology under my belt by the way...seriously, no double entendres... and would like to study further in this field. But Physics made my eyes glaze over at school, though it wasn't as repelling to me as Chemistry. I'm a creative. I should not find what he has to say interesting, right? Well I do. 

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e3/Stephen_King%2C_Comicon.jpg
Stephen King, image from Wikimedia Commons


WHO IS HE?
Ah come on, the man who messes with your mind.
WHY A  PLEASURE?
The greatest, modern, American writer of horror and popular fiction. He has the power to make you forget you are supposed to be somewhere else, not sitting there with your nose in a book..or kindle, though you can't really stick your nose in a kindle come to think of it.
WHY GUILTY?
Not exactly chic lit. Shouldn't I have outgrown his books years ago when I discovered a more serious side to literature?







I hope that little interlude gave you a moment away from your troubles. I'd love to hear your guilty pleasures...again, nothing lewd or illegal please!

6 comments:

  1. Fun read Anne-Marie! I think we all have some guilty pleasures, mine are Cognac - I only have it for medicinal purposes but the truth is I'm not sick that often I enjoy it but I think that's nothing when compared to me wanting to read the Simon Cowel book - I'm craving the gossip! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-) that's preventative medicine then....and go get the book. A busy, creative mind needs some time off....

      Delete
  2. Ah you said it, that's the secret of my recent good health, so not that guilty pleasure at all! The gossip will be my x'mas hols read - a perfect wipe out and something to annoy my travel companion with...;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ahahahaha! Are you one of those people who insists on reading chunks of your own book when the other person is reading theirs? Or do you giggle away to yourself and not explain?
      ReplyDelete

      Delete
    2. i mean read chunks of it out loud...of course...

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete