Monday, May 6, 2013

Caught My Eye 16 Designated Bathing Area Dollymount

Caught My Eye  is a series of blog posts showing scenes I found interesting, odd, curious or beautiful. I am not a photographer, so please do not expect top quality photography :-). But please enjoy a glimpse of the world through my eyes.

 I was out walking at Dollymount strand, very close to the city centre on Saturday. Parallel to the beach, the promenade is open on one side to Dublin Bay affording a view of the docklands and Poolbeg towers. Though not very appealing in themselves, these two towers are a landmark well known to Dubliners and the skyline would not be right without them. The view shown in the photo above is through the entrance to the ladies' bathing shelter.
 This is a pale yellow structure providing a sheltered changing area for brave ladies heading for a dip in the cold, deep sea. (No I did not!) I should mention there is a similar shelter for gentlemen a little further on.

 Here is a sight that caught my eye not for its aesthetic beauty, but rather, its distinct lack of appeal for me.  I love to swim in the sea, but I truly hate getting stuck in a seaweedy patch. The thoughts of gingerly stepping down those slippy steps into that cold, slimy soup gave me the shudders. Ladies who brave it- fair play to you. You're made of stronger stuff than me.

The sea air, did however, refire my creativity and I've started work on some fresh, summer jewellery and accessories.

In the meantime, here is some Summer jewellery already listed in my Esty Store :
SALE Butterfly Button Pendant. Tomato Red and Black Button Pendant Necklace. Sally Irish Jewelry. Seaglass Pendant. Brown Irish Beach Glass Necklace. Dublin Bay. Irish Beach Glass & Copper Pendant or Ornament. Stirring Sea


3 comments:

  1. Great pictures, you always make me miss Dublin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've forgotten how unique our seafront is - the bathing areas, the baths in dun laoghaire, the quirks you can still see to thus day.
    I remember as a kid playing in these places

    ReplyDelete